UNDATED (AP) — FIFA has appealed for “tolerance, mutual respect and common sense” after President Donald Trump denounced the annulment of a policy that required soccer players to stand during the national anthem. Trump tweeted Saturday that “I won’t be watching much anymore!” Trump retweeted a tweet by Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz (gaytz) who wrote: “I’d rather the US not have a soccer team than have a soccer team that won’t stand for the National Anthem.” It was United States captain Megan Rapinoe kneeling in support of Colin Kaepernick that led to the U.S. Soccer Federation adopting the rule in 2017.

ZURICH (AP) — A $16 million FIFA fund to pay soccer players whose clubs disbanded leaving wages unpaid has had 441 applications. FIFA says 89% of cases involve European clubs and the other 11% are spread worldwide. The fund was launched in February with the global group of players’ unions FIFPro. Union leaders have warned that some clubs closed down to avoid paying wages then re-started as a new operation.

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — After three months the PGA Tour returned, and Commissioner Jay Monahan felt every bit a winner as Daniel Berger at Colonial. There were no positive tests from the 487 administered at the Charles Schwab Challenge to players, caddies and key personnel. There were no fans, either. Monahan called it a phenomenal return, mainly because it was a healthy won. Berger won in a sudden-death playoff when Collin Morikawa missed a 3-foot putt. Morikawa says just because it was a good return doesn't mean players can ignore that the COVID-19 pandemic remains a threat.

ROME (AP) — Nothing seemed to go right for Cristiano Ronaldo in the Italian Cup semifinal match against AC Milan. The five-time Ballon d'Or winner missed a penalty and struggled with a positional change. Ronaldo will be looking to put that performance behind him when Juventus faces Napoli in the Italian Cup final on Wednesday. He is chasing the 30th title of his career for club and country. A title for Napoli would mark a complete turnaround for a club that struggled during the first half of the season and saw Gennaro Gattuso replace the fired Carlo Ancelotti as coach.

PRAGUE (AP) — The Czech soccer league has condemned the racist abuse of a player by fans during a league match. The incident occurred on Sunday at the game between Olomouc and Plzen when several fans directed racist insults at Plzen striker Jean-David Beauguel (zhan DAY’-vihd boo-ZHEL’). The 28-year-old Beauguel is black and from France. The league says its disciplinary committee will deal with the issue on Thursday. It says, “there’s no place for such fans at the stadiums.” Plzen called it unacceptable while Olomouc has apologized for the fans' behavior.