BOSTON (AP) — A look at coronavirus-related developments in New England on Saturday:


Massachusetts reported 10 newly confirmed coronavirus deaths and nearly 590 newly confirmed cases Saturday, pushing the state’s confirmed COVID-19 death toll to 9,372 and its confirmed caseload to nearly 135,600.

The seven-day weighted average of positive tests remains just over 1%. The true number of cases is likely higher because many people have not been tested, and studies suggest people can be infected and not feel sick.

There were more than 530 people reported hospitalized Monday because of COVID-19, and more than 80 in intensive care units.

The three-day average of the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients has climbed to 505, up from 341 about a month ago.

At the same time the three-day average of confirmed COVID-19 deaths have fallen to nine, down from about 15 a month ago.



Maine health officials reported another 32 cases of the coronavirus on Saturday with no new deaths.

The total number of cases neared 5,700 while the total number of the deaths since the beginning of the pandemic remained at 143.

The state is also continuing to investigate the possible fallout from a referee who was on the ice for eight games over two days and potentially could have exposed hundreds of youth hockey players to the coronavirus in Maine and New Hampshire.

The state is still getting a handle on the situation, but as many as 400 people could’ve been exposed to the virus.

Five workers at L.L. Bean’s fulfillment center in Freeport have also tested positive for coronavirus, the company said Friday.



The Children’s Museum of New Hampshire is testing Sunday private play dates as an alternative to its pre-COVID-19 birthday party offerings.

Under the new rules, parents can rent out the whole museum for two hours. Museum officials say that while there are a few new rules in place -- no food is allowed and masks are required for everyone over the age of 24 months -- the fun and playful exploration that the museum is known for remains.

Parents can choose from two two-hour Sunday sessions, one beginning at 9:30 a.m. and a second beginning at 1 p.m.

The museum is thoroughly cleaned between each session, and the capacity for each session is capped at 50 individuals.



Rhode Island health officials reported three more COVID-19 related deaths on Friday and another 249 cases of the disease caused by the coronavirus.

That brings the total number of deaths related to COVID-19 in the state to 1,130 and the number of known cases to nearly 26,300.

There were more than 100 patients with coronavirus in Rhode Island hospitals on Wednesday, the most recent date for which data were available. Ten were in intensive care. Six were on ventilators.



Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House coronavirus task force visited the University of Vermont on Saturday and said efforts by the school to keep COVID-19 cases among the lowest of any campus in the nation are succeeding.

She credited those efforts on what she called “a coalition of the willing to really ensure that students, staff, faculty and communities remain safe,” according to a university press release.

Birx held separate meetings with UVM President Suresh Garimella, university public health and infectious disease experts, and other university officials.

She also connected remotely with representatives from the governor’s office and Vermont Department of Health.

Birx visited Massachusetts on Friday and said a rising number of cases in the Northeast is likely being fueled by small gatherings of family and friends containing people who have the virus but aren’t showing symptoms.


The Vermont Health Department on Saturday reported 11 new cases of the virus that causes COVID-19.

No COVID-19 patients are currently being treated in Vermont hospitals.

The number of COVID-19 deaths in Vermont remains at 58. More than 171,000 people have been tested in Vermont more than 1,650 have recovered from the disease.



U.S. Rep. Jahana Hayes said a test Saturday showed no signs of the coronavirus in her body, nearly three weeks after she was diagnosed with COVID-19.

The Democrat, who represents Connecticut’s 5th District, has been documenting her battle against the disease on social media since revealing her positive test results on Sept. 20.

Hayes said a follow-up COVID-19 test on Saturday came back negative. She said she also received a flu shot and made an appointment with the American Red Cross to donate plasma.


Sacred Heart University and the University of Saint Joseph are the latest in Connecticut to use the rapid saliva-based coronavirus test developed at Yale.

The schools hope adding the testing method to tests already being conducted will help them identify cases earlier and prevent large outbreaks on campus. Both schools also are using the nasal swab form of testing.