BOSTON (AP) — A look at coronavirus news from around New England:
More cases of COVID-19 have been linked to a Maine wedding reception that violated attendance limits.
Maine state health officials said Saturday that so far, 53 cases of the virus have been traced back to the Aug. 7 reception in Millinocket. One person has died, according to a local hospital.
The reception at the Big Moose Inn exceeded the state’s indoor gathering limit, among other violations of state rules. The outbreak affected individuals from 4 to 78 years old, officials said.
About 65 people — more than the limit of 50 — attended the reception. A representative for the Big Moose Inn has declined to comment.
One person whose infection has been linked to the reception died Friday afternoon at Millinocket Regional Hospital, the hospital's CEO announced Friday.
Because of the outbreak, the hospital is closed to visitors. The town hall and schools also were closed.
Thirty-two new cases and one additional death were announced Saturday by the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The deceased was a man in his 70s from Cumberland County.
The updated figures bring the total number of coronavirus cases to nearly 4,320 and the number of deaths to 130, according to the Maine CDC. The daily update does not include the death reported Friday afternoon in Millinocket.
Motorcycle Week is underway in Laconia, but some bars and pubs won’t be serving customers.
The annual event typical attracts thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts to the Lakes Region. Due to concerns about the coronavirus, Gov. Chris Sununu recently mandated that masks be worn at gatherings of more than 100 people, and has said that liquor enforcement officials will be out in force throughout the nine-day gathering.
While indoor dining is allowed, standing at bars is not; customers must be served while seated. Some bar owners brought in new chairs to comply, but others, fearing crowds and the potential for fines or the loss of their liquor licenses, decided to shut down for the week.
Vermont has increased the maximum amount of economic recovery grant money that businesses hurt by the coronavirus pandemic can receive.
Previously, Vermont businesses could be awarded up to $50,000 in federal coronavirus relief grant funding. Gov. Phil Scott’s administration announced this week that businesses now may be eligible for up to $150,000.
The increased award amount is available to new applicants and businesses that have already received a $50,000 grant, the governor’s office said.
“We realize how hard this pandemic and the ensuing public health mitigation policies have been on these sectors, which are crucial to the state’s economy,” Scott said in a written statement. “In raising the limit by $100,000, we hope businesses that were previously capped at $50,000 can now access additional funding to help them survive as the pandemic continues to limit their capacity.”