UNDATED (AP) — NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has raised the possibility of not being able to complete the regular season, while stressing all options remain on the table. In an interview on NBCSN, he said that “nothing has been ruled in and nothing ruled out,” and that the league hopes to have a clearer picture of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic in the next few weeks. The interview marked the first time Bettman has mentioned the possibility of the league not being able to complete the regular season. There were 189 games remaining when play was postponed on March 12.
UNDATED (AP) — The Canadian Football League is the latest sports league to postpone play because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The CFL, which was scheduled to kick off the regular season on June 11, announced Tuesday that the season won’t start before the beginning of July.
BOSTON (AP) — Boston Red Sox left-hander Chris Sale says he has no regrets about the timing of his recent Tommy John surgery and is confident he can return as a stronger pitcher following his rehab. Sale had the procedure on his left elbow last month. The Red Sox said the surgery was a success. Sale is expected to miss 14 to 15 months, which would put him on track to return in the middle of the 2021 season.
COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Maryland forward Jalen Smith intends to enter the 2020 NBA Draft and forgo his remaining two years of eligibility. Smith averaged 15.5 points and 10.5 rebounds as a sophomore, helping the Terrapins to a 24-7 finish and a share of the Big Ten regular-season title. He ranked first in the conference and third nationally with 21 double-doubles. The 6-foot-10 star announced his plans to leave on Tuesday, saying, “The time is right for me to move forward to the next phase in my basketball career.”
MONTREAL (AP) — The Canadian Grand Prix has become the latest Formula One race to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Montreal-based race was scheduled to take place June 12-14. It is the ninth race to be postponed so far, with the French GP on June 26 now the set to be the opening event of the season. Race organizers said in a statement that they were “saddened” to postpone the race and that the decision was made in consultation with F1 and officials from the local and federal government.