NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Ten restaurants across Rhode Island have been cited by the state Department of Health for failing to comply with regulations meant stop the spread of the coronavirus, the agency said in a statement Wednesday.

The establishments were issued compliance orders after inspectors witnessed staff and customers not wearing masks, not practicing social distancing, and for not screening patrons for symptoms of COVID-19, the agency said.

Many were issued compliance orders because customers were being served while seated at bar areas without the necessary physical barriers in place.

“There are restaurants throughout Rhode Island that are doing a great job welcoming and serving customers in a way that is healthy and safe,” department Director Nicole Alexander-Scott said in a statement. “The few that are not are hurting the entire industry, jeopardizing the safety of their customers, and setting Rhode Island back in our work to prevent the spread of COVID-19."

One restaurant received an immediate compliance order requiring it to close immediately because the violations were considered an imminent threat to public health.

___

NEW CASES DROP

The Rhode Island Department of Health reported 61 news confirmed cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday, just one day after reporting a two-month high of 119 new confirmed cases in a single day.

The seven-day average of new cases has dropped to nearly 92.

The state also reported two new coronavirus-related fatalities on Wednesday, for a statewide death toll of 1,007 patients.

The number of people in the hospital with the disease was 74 as of Monday, the latest day for which the information is available, up slightly from the previous day. The number of patients in intensive care was up to 12 from 10 the previous day.

___

NAVY PREP SCHOOL CASES

Several new students at the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Rhode Island tested positive for COVID-19 when they arrived on campus earlier this month, school officials say.

“Fewer than 20" students out of 273 tested positive when they arrived to begin a 10-month course of study at the Newport school, retired Navy Capt. Mark Donahue, the school’s command services director, said Tuesday.

All students were tested when they arrived, he said.

Most students who complete the program go on to enroll at the U.S. Naval Academy.

“Most of those students have completed their 14-day quarantine and are back with the rest of the group,” Donahue said.